Thursday, July 12, 2007

Computers - It's a Love/Hate Relationship




This afternoon became a total waste because of computer woes. I returned from lunch with friends and downloaded my email. Then I checked a couple websites out, got ready to go to work, and boom! Just like that . . . I lost all Internet connection. After troubleshooting an hour on the phone with Comcast, we deduced the problem was with my router. So I went out and bought a new router. Thankfully since I bought the first one they aren't as expensive. I started installing it and the installation program said no router was connected to the machine. Wrong. But now when I went back to connect the cable modem to laptop I couldn't do that either. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

After another phone call to Comcast and more fiddling around trying to get the Comcast server to reassign my I.P. number to my computer, we decided it was time for a technician to come out. I have a feeling there's a problem with the cable modem. At least I hope that's where the problem is. If so, I don't get charged for the service call. If it's a problem with my router then I pay.

Meanwhile, I'm plugged directly into the modem and confined to a corner of my living room. Just like the old days when I had a PC in a corner of my bedroom. We get so spoiled with all this technology don't we? And to think a little more than ten years ago the Internet was a whole new thing and dial-up modems took forever to download even a sign-in screen to get on your email account.

Tomorrow's another day.

No comments: