Saturday, December 16, 2006

Life in a Snow Globe



The latest Christmas yard decoration these days is a blow-up snow globe. One has been sitting in front of some new townhouses on the next block since mid-November.

I got to thinking last night as I drove past the colorful display how life might be in a snow globe. The figures inside are always smiling, enjoying the snow instead of complaining because it is messing up the roads, always posed just right.

If I lived in a snow globe and always smiling it would probably mean I’d just sold my 20th bestseller to the most prestigious CBA publisher in the world, I’d be in perfect health, always about 40 years old without a gray hair on my head, and never have a worry in the world. I’d sit down at my computer and never have writer’s block. My life would lack conflict, worries, financial concerns, etc.

But, of course, life isn’t lived in a snow globe. Life in this imperfect world is, well, imperfect. I’m always wondering if I’ll ever sell my first fiction manuscript, let alone a bestseller. I cover my gray hair with Clairol. I have concerns about my health, as well as the health of my loved ones. And when it snows, although I think it’s pretty, I hate driving in it.

Nope, the world isn’t perfect by a long shot. That’s why we need the Perfect One whose coming to this imperfect world we celebrate this month. One day Jesus will return and bring with him a perfect world. Then, and only then, will life be perfect. We won’t need to live in a snow globe either. We’ll be living in His world. His perfect world.

No comments: