Thursday, August 31, 2006

Who Says Writing is Easy?

Yesterday I reached a milestone I've been trying to reach for a couple weeks. (Remember the previous post about distractions?) I finally finished round one of my Murder for Breakfast revision. Now for Step #2. Going through it again using a program called Natural Reader and have it read back to me with a woman's voice. It's amazing what you can catch that way.

Then I'll be done and I can move on to my other project you say? NOT! Then I print it out and read through it again noting if my character arcs are clear, do I have enough of the five senses included, have I missed inserting details here and there that move the plot along, etc. etc. This I'll do while on a five-hour drive Saturday. Don't worry. I won't be driving LOL. But my friend will be subject to a new version of books on tape. If he falls asleep then we'll both be in trouble. Hopefully, he''ll keep saying "Don't stop. I need to know what happens next!" Ahhhh. Music to a writer's ears.

My point this morning is that writing is hard work. Very hard work. There are times I'd like to just close the file on my computer and let these people figure out the mystery by the themselves, and then there are other times I can't wait to get to the story and find out what happens next.

I don't have the luxury of giving the story a rest right now. The ACFW conference gathers three weeks from today and I have to have this ready to pitch to editors and agents along with my other story. Hey, I just came up with a new working title for that novel. "Shiloh Legacy" I like it. It's a story about.... Well, you'll just have to wait and see. Right now I have work to do.

No comments: