Saturday, January 13, 2007

Life Lesson #1: Humility Must Come First


Humility isn’t a new thought to me. Ever since I gave myself to Christ over twenty years ago I’ve been well aware of how God calls me to be humble. Sometimes I’ve been able to take on that attitude, and more times than I care to admit, I haven’t done very well. As 2007 began God gave me a word for the year. Guess what it was.


HUMILITY


One of the first things I thought of in thinking on this word was “humble pie.” That delicacy we've all eaten when making an apology for something we said or did. I did some quick research on the origin of ‘humble pie.” and learned that there really was such a thing. According to a Random House website , humble pie has its origins in early England. The pie was made of the inferior parts of the deer. These parts were called humbles. Who ate this pie? The servants, while the upper class ate the best parts of the deer in their pie.

The word servant hit me because that’s what God calls us to be. First, servants to Him and second, servants to others.

I struggle a lot with pride. It’s easy to see where pride can creep in when you’ve achieved something that wins honor for yourself. Perhaps winning a marathon, or receiving an award for excellence at work—or selling a book.

Without realizing it, I often find I’ve become prideful over the smallest thing. People sometimes approach me after church and rave about my sign language ability (I interpret the service for deaf people). At their words I can almost feel my heart swelling with what else? Pride. That is, until I realize the person doesn’t know one single sign. For all they know, I’ve signed everything wrong. It just looks pretty. That puts me in my place real fast.

James 4:6 says that “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” I believe in my heart that God wants me to eventually have a book contract, but He won’t give it to me until I’m ready. When that day comes, it will come by His grace, and only when I fully give him all the credit for what He is doing through me.


Isaiah says that we are like grasshoppers compared to God who lives above the circle of the earth. Isaiah also says that God lives with the person who is contrite and lowly in spirit. I’d rather be a grasshopper in His presence with no book contract than a mega-contract author with an inflated ego.

I have a feeling God is going to teach me about humility in ways I could never imagine. He already has this week and it’s only the middle of January! That humble pie may be the most tasty thing I’ll have to eat this year. Pass the salt and pepper please!


No comments: