Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Featuring "Blessings" by Kim Sawyer - Win a Free Copy!


Blessings is book three in Kim Sawyer's Sommerfield Trilogy. I waited patiently for this book to come out, anticipating a good read, and I wasn't disappointed.

Like Bygones and Beginnings, books one and two, the story centers on Sommerfield, KS, a fictional old-order Mennonite community where time seems to stand still. Unlike the Amish, most Mennoites will use electricity and drive cars, but only for utilitarian purposes. Most will not use computers and their cars are usually plain sedans. Mennonite dress is similar to the Amish. Women wear prayer caps and long dresses and men, trousers held up by suspenders and work boots. Formal education ends at 8th grade for most old-order Mennonites, and there-in lies the crux of the conflict in Blessings.

In Bygones and Beginnings, books one and two, we met Trina Muller, an upbeat young lady who has a very strong affinity for animals, but really didn't know more about her than that. Blessings is Trina's story. Because of her love of animals Trina doesn't want to turn down the opportunity of working in the local veterinarian's office, even if it means doing the grunt work. Although she dreams of becoming a veterinarian herself, she realizes to do that would go against the community as well as her parents and the young man who loves her.

Kim's weaves a story of love, determination and desire to be obedient to God even if it means possibly causing a rift between family members. The more I read, the more I couldn't put the book down. And then when I finished, I was sorry because I realized this would be my last visit to Sommerfield. Saying goodbye to characters you've come to know is hard. As I told Kim, I want to know what happens next in Trina's life, as well as the others.

You do not need to have read the previous two books to enjoy Blessings. Although characters from both books one and two do pop up in book three, a new reader to the series will not be lost.

If you'd like to read Blessings, I'm holding a drawing for the book. Leave a comment and your name will be thrown into the hat. The drawing won't take place until Wednesday, March 12th.

BE SURE TO LEAVE CONTACT INFORMATION WHEN YOU LEAVE YOUR COMMENT.
If I don't know how to reach you, I won't be able to include your name!

16 comments:

Kathy Carlton Willis said...

I've read book one and two of this series, and would love to get my hands on book three, "Blessings." Kim is a powerful writer and I look forward to reading this latest offering. WillisWay at aol dot com.

Julie Lessman said...

Hey Pam, I would LOVE to win this one!! I hear nothing but wonderful things about Kim's writing, so I am stoked!! Thanks for offering the drawing -- count me in!

Hugs,
Julie

gsus at charter dot net

Anonymous said...

i've never read a book by kim and have heard great things about her books!
hsmuda[at]gmail[dot]com
thanks!

The Book Club Network - TBCN said...

This really looks good. Could you please put me in for the drawing.
Thanks so much

Janna said...

I've heard wonderful things about this series, but haven't gotten to read it yet, please include me in the drawing...

Janna
ryanx6 @ msn . com

Anonymous said...

I would love to win this book :)

Anonymous said...

Please enter me. I have book 1 and am looking for 2 & 3.

Thanks,

bookwurm70 [at] yahoo [dot] com

Carole said...

I would love to win a copy of Kim's book. Thank you for the opportunity.

cjarvis [at] bellsouth [dot] net

Pamela J said...

Please enter me in your drawing. I am glad to know this one stands alone since I haven't gotten the first two yet.
Pam
cepjwms at yahoo dot com

Carolynn said...

My Mom and I just LOVE Kim Vogel Sawyer's books. I would love to win this for my Mom and surprise her with it:)

Cherie J said...

Please enter me in the drawing for this book.

cherierjatyahoo.com

CherryBlossomMJ said...

please enter me thanks
cherryblossommj(at)gmail[dot]com

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Pam, for featuring BLESSINGS! I really appreciate it. Yes, the story does stand alone and will make perfect sense all by itself...but I sure hope people will read #1 and #2 first LOL--#3 is third chronologically so it gives a lot of stuff away from the first two books. What fun is that? :o) Regardless, I am touched by the interest in this series. I hope the story is as much a blessing to readers as it was to the writer.

Doreen said...

I haven't read book one or two unfortunately. I haven't heard of this book until now and it sounds really great!!

windycindy said...

Hello, What a fun contest. I enjoy these books! Please enter me in your drawing. I appreciate it.....
Thanks,Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Megan said...

Please enter me and thanks for having a drawing.
mopsmomut[at]yahoo[dot]com